Friday, March 7, 2014

Thoughts

I was reading scripture today, and talking to God as I read and began to think.  I want to know God like I know people.  

Take my relationship with David as an example. I want to know everything about him.  I want to know all of his stories, and I want to hear them time and time again for the years to come.  I want to know his favorite things; I want to know what makes him smile.  I want to keep learning about him.  Each day I want to learn something new about him and I want to continue discovering things about each other for the rest of our lives.

This is how I want my relationship with God to be as well.  It is not enough for me to settle into the mindset that I need to check time with him off like its a "to-do list."  It is not enough for me to go through my day, say a few prayers to feel like I "did the right thing."  I want to know the God that allows his Holy Spirit to dwell inside of me!

I want to read scripture from a place of, "I want to know everything about you Lord! I want to know all of you.  I want to know what is important to you.  I want to know what brings you joy.  I want to know every bit of your history through the ages.  I want to discover more about you every single day!"

I read this quote from Joy Williams, of the Civil Wars and I found it to be a good reminder in my relationships.  She is speaking of her relationship with her husband, but I find it to be applicable in my relationship with God as well:::

"A very wise woman once told me to think of long-term relationships as if you were backpacking a continent: that I could spend my entire life with bare feet and a backpack, [walking] through Africa, and on my dying day still not know everything there is about that continent. And to me, that's the metaphor of what long-term relationships are — that it's a journey, and you have to stay intentional and you have to stay present. It's so easy to get tired, or to lose track of the path that you're on, or to want a new adventure. I think what I'm learning, if we're all honest, there are moments that we all have that in our long-term relationships. It makes it ache a little bit less, knowing that it's a universal thing in a lot of ways, and that to stay mindful and to stay present and to stay curious about the person that's inches away from you all the time is really a beautiful thing"

Just a few thoughts for the day.

xo, Kelsey Belle

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. nice blog. wanna follow each other dear? :))

    http://choccopost.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXELZINE